Over the past few months, I have made some key investments in skincare products, and the results have been well worth the money spent. I have completely transformed my skin tone, cleared any and all blemishes, and revealed smooth, even skin that doesn’t even require make up. This is a huge change for me, as I have always struggled with acne and uneven skin tone. I went on Accutane when I was a teenager, and that helped tremendously, but I was still left with acne scars and the occasional break out on my chin and forehead. Without further ado, here is what I have been doing:
- Sip on some water right away when I wake up – staying hydrated can really impact your skin and lips!
- Splash on some water, and add 1/2 a pump of Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleanser; lather and rinse, pat dry. This smells amazing and is so gentle on the skin. It’s not always necessary to wash your face in the morning, but for me it is a nice way to wake up and pamper myself.
- Add 1 pump of Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel to the face, neck, and decolletage. I have always used Clinique’s moisturizer lotion, but I like the gel even more! It absorbs instantly and leaves you feeling fresh faced all day long.
- Dab a small amount of Supergoop! CC Cream Daily Correct Broad Spectrum SPF 35 Sunscreen to the forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. Blend in. This product is great because it covers many bases – it evens out redness, provides a smooth and long lasting base for foundation, gives you coverage from UV rays, and softens hard lines/wrinkles. When I put this on under my foundation, my skin looks exactly the same at the beginning of the day as it does at the end. This is no easy feat considering my days can include 13+ hours at the hospital and an hour workout at the gym!
- These three steps complete my morning routine. To get the most benefits, I try my hardest to avoid touching my face throughout the day, and continue to drink water – I aim for at least half my body weight in ounces!
- After a long day, I love to pamper myself while winding down. My nighttime routine is the perfect solution – I wash off the grime of the day and prepare for a night of rest and recovery. I start off by wetting my face with warm water. Then I add a full pump of Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleanser. I dab equal amounts to my forehead, cheeks, chin, and nose, then put the rest on my eyes to remove my eye makeup. I previously added an additional step that included eye makeup remover, but then I discovered that Purity actually did a better job at lifting eye make up and didn’t sting if it got in my eyes. Once the eye makeup is removed, wipe off with a wet washcloth. I use baby washcloths, because they are super soft and gentle on delicate areas, such as the eyes.
- Next, I take my Clarisonic Mia and cleanse my face with the Purity that is still on my skin. I start at the forehead for about 20-30 seconds, and then move to each cheek for about 15 seconds, and then finish up on the chin, upper lip, and nose. Don’t forget about going into the hairline a bit and down the neck – there’s makeup and oil that ends up there as well! I finish up by rinsing off any leftover cleanser and patting dry.
- Next up is a restorative and preventative step that I think is important and appropriate at any age. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II is a bit pricey, but you only use a few drops a night so it lasts quite a while. I put a drop on my forehead, each cheek, and rub in with my fingertips. Make sure to get some right under the eyes to smooth any lines or wrinkles. This is one of my favorite parts of my skincare routine – the serum sinks right into your skin and begins to work immediately!
- Last but not least, night cream time! I am in love with First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration. It has a light whipped texture that feels like frosting! I apply to my face, neck, and decolletage. In the morning, my skin is always dewy and fresh. This cream is not limited to the face – I slather some on my body after shower/bathing and enjoy smooth, hydrated skin all day long.
- Finally it’s time for bed! I use a humidifier in my bedroom at night to keep the air warm and moist. This model has an oil diffuser – I like to add a lavender oil at bedtime to lull myself into a deep sleep right away!
- In addition to my day and night routines, I add in a few other steps on a less frequent basis to rejuvenate and protect:
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is more than just exfoliating dead skin cells – it uses a gentle sanding action to remove the surface layer of skin, revealing a new, smoother layer of skin beneath. The process is non-invasive and can be done at home! If you suffer from melasma (hyperpigmentation), clogged pores, fine lines, or keratosis pilaris – I would definitely recommend including microdermabrasion as part of your routine! This can be done on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I do every other Sunday to slough away old skin and allow my skin routine to work even better and deeper! I purchased the PMD Personal Microderm so I can do treatments right at home, which fits into my budget much better. The machine costs less than the price of one microdermabrasion session at most spas, so it really is worth the expense! After a microdermabrasion session, I spritz a cooling toner on to restore my skin’s pH (rosewater works great!) and then add my serum and moisturizer which work even better once the new layer of skin is revealed!
- Spa Facials: It is not often that I splurge on a spa facial, but all of the hottest celebrities make these a part of their regular routine. Make sure you use a reputable and licensed esthetician. It is good to get a facial about 4 times a year, or once every time the season changes. Don’t go more than once a month – this can do more harm than good. Most facials have many steps which may include cleansing, steaming, exfoliation, extraction, facial massage, facial mask, and application of skin care serums, lotions, toners, etc.
- Face Masks: Face masks can address many different specific issues. I use Clarisonic Detoxifying Clay Mask every other week (alternating with when I do PMD). It has bentonite clay which pulls out dirt, oil, and toxins from your pores. It finished off with soothing aloe and chamomile which leave your skin so soft and silky you won’t want to stop touching it! (Resist the urge, haha!)
It is so extremely important to establish a skincare routine at any age. I have tried these products and had amazing results, but if your needs are different, you may need to do some experimenting. The basic steps that are absolutely necessary are cleansing, moisturizing twice a day, and using sunscreen. Start there, and then add in what you need or are able to. If there isn’t room for a facial cleansing brush or microdermabrasion unit, that is fine! You can make a simple scrub from sugar or a face mask from ingredients in your kitchen in a pinch. The most important thing is that you are treating your skin kindly and caring for it every day. You will see great results and feel pampered! Also, I think it is important to add that all of these choices are my own- I have received no compensation or free products from these companies. I simply love these products and had to share!